Here is a quick down and dirty set up for photographing cool macro images that are unique and easy!
Things I used.
- I used a black round swatch of fabric for my bottom layer. (I really didn’t intend to have this show in my photos but sometimes I shoot against dark to bring the light out)
- an angled widget to keep the CD on an angle ( I used hand cream bottle )
- Blank CD, tilt it on an angle and you will see the rainbow.
- Feathers, they can hold a drop of water and look soft and fun.
- Sequins, cheap and offer great bokehs in different colors.
- Tripod set about 6 inches away. (THIS IS A MUST)
- Cheap wireless shutter release (not a must but worth the $9.00 I paid on Amazon)
- Spray bottle. (cold water is good. **Side Note** Try filling with some very hot water on a cold day for steam)
- Cheap desk lamp.
My sandbox setup
- Set your lens to manual focus not auto.
Most lens will waste a lot of time trying to help you focus. Most of the times they take forever and never want to focus on the dot I want.
- Use a tripod and wireless release.
Because any movement will ruin your shot why take the chance and hand hold? I know some people use their flash to freeze the shot but that’s never been my style. You can use a wired shutter release but I won’t for 2 simple reasons. 1. It moves the camera. 2. I had the tip of one break off in my camera and it sucked!
- My camera settings
My camera is set to Manual Mode, ISO 100, F4.5, exp 0.60/sec
I used my 100mm lens to take the pic but in the above pic I have on a different lens. Why? I shot last night and forgot to replace it. sorry : )
- Light source
I used the desk lamp only.
My results : )
If you give this a try, let me know! I would love to see your results : )